1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
2. Grease and flour 2/3 round cake pans.
3. In a bowl mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground clove.
4. In a separate bowl cream together oil, sugar and brown sugar.
5. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract.
6. Toss the grated carrots in some flour from the dry ingredients mixture (Making the carrots less likely to sink at the bottom of the cake).
7. Gradually mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, by adding buttermilk until well combined (do not over mix).
8. Pour the prepared batter into the cake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until you get moist crumbs on a toothpick inserted in the centre (do not over bake).
Cream cheese frosting:
2 tbsp of unsalted butter
250g of Philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups confectioner sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
Cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla extract and confectioner sugar. Whisk until everything is incorporated. Add the milk till it reaches the consistency you want.
Assembling : remove the cakes from the cake pans and fill them with cream cheese frosting and stack the cakes.
Top it with some toasted nuts and serve.