Preheat oven to 170 degree Celsius. Grease a 8-inch square baking pan with butter.
FOR THE TOPPING
1. Whisk brown sugar and cocoa powder (30g cocoa powder) in a bowl and set aside. Pre boil 1 cup of water before preparing the cake.
FOR THE CAKE :
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, white sugar, cocoa powder, pinch of salt and the measured chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips but you could use any kind of chocolate or nuts).
2. In a separate bowl or jug, whisk together the butter, milk, egg and vanilla.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Mix until combined (it will be a very thick batter).
4. Spoon the batter into the baking pan and spread it evenly.
5. Evenly sprinkle the topping mixture and shake gently to spread out thinly.
6. Slowly pour the hot water (1 cup of water) over the top of the topping mixture - DO NOT STIR OR MIX INTO THE BATTER. ALLOW THE WATER TO SIT ON TOP.
7. Bake for 30 minutes until the top of the cake springs back when poked lightly - it will be a bit gooey. The pudding cake needs to be served warm.
8. I like to serve mine with ice cream and strawberries (to make it look prettier ) but I didn’t have any strawberries in hand today so I used some red currents I had in the fridge.
Also spoon some fudge sauce from the bottom of pan over top of each serve of cake.